I have created a template card with the board game being made for Project 2. My intention when making this template was to make sure that all the information that was required to be on the card was clear and easily understood. I created this template using GIMP.
When I created a new file, I set the image size to 14cm x 20cm. Then I created the black outline of the card, as well as the card layout, with the Pencil Tool with size at 10px. I separated the card into 5 different sections: the Title, Deck, Resources, Artwork and Abilities.
The Title is the section at the top of the card and has the largest sized text on the card.
To do this, I used the Text Tool and made a small text box. I then typed the name of the card, in this case ‘Kinda Gross Towel’, and expanded the limits of the text box to match the section. I then highlighted the text and increased the font size until I felt that it fit nicely within the limits of the section.
I made it like this so that, when a player receives the card, it is very obvious. Also, as players become more familiar with the game, they may come to associate the name of the card with its abilities so having the title be large is important.
The Deck section is at the top-right of the card, defined by a distinct circle.
I followed the same method that I used for the Title for the Deck section as well. I created a text box, placed the corresponding letter, expanded the limits of the text box to match the section and then increased the font until I felt it looked good.
This section tells players what Deck this card belongs to. It is used during the setup of the game, as well as when a player discards a card. I gave it a unique area because of how vital it is during the setup of a game. The letter in the circle is in bold and represents the first letter of the deck that is belongs to: M (Medical Bay), K (Kitchen) and CB (Cargo Bay).
The Resources section is on the right-hand side of the card and tells the player how much of each resource the card is worth.
To create the coloured squares I used both the Rectangle Select Tool and the Bucket Fill Tool. I used the Rectangle Select Tool to to create an appropriately sized square. The square is small enough to allow for three squares of the same size to fit within the section, but also large enough to fit a decently sized number inside of it. I then used the Bucket Fill Tool to fill each square with the colour used to represent one of the resources. After that, I used the Text Tool to label each square with the amount of resources that the card provides for each resource type. I followed the same text method for the numbers as I did for the Deck.
This section has 3 numbers, each one inside a differently coloured square. Each square represents a different resource: Blue = Tech, Green = Bio and Yellow = Energy. I decided to give this section colour so that it stands out from the rest of the card and allows for players to distinguish between resources without the need for text. However, having colour be the defining factor means that it may be impossible for a colour-blind person to read it.
The Artwork section is in the middle of the card and is a visual representation of the Item Card
This section is fairly large on the card and is intended to provide a visual connection from the card to the game board. However, due to the constraints of the project, this section may be cut. Another reason this section maybe removed is to make more room for the Abilities section.
The Abilities section is at the bottom of the card and is the largest section on the card. It describes the abilities that the player gets when they receive the card.
Since some cards have both a Passive and an Active ability, I started by using the Pencil Tool, again at 10px, to draw a line to split the section into two. I then created a text box, using the Text Tool, on either side.
This section is broken into a Passive and Active area. The details of the abilities are listed in their respective area. In order to fit the wording of the abilities on the card, I had to re-word some of them. Even still, some of the ability descriptions of some cards don’t fit properly.