Pitching A Stitch In Time

I recently pitched my game idea, A Stitch In Time, to my fellow peers at SAE QANTM. My game is a fusion of Berzerk (Atari/Arcade game) and Harriet Powers’ art style. You can find a recording of my pitch here.

It isn’t my best performance but, considering that I hadn’t slept the night before, I think it was acceptable.

I received some rather interesting feedback from my peers after my presentation. Someone asked if I might be overscoping the project, which is worrying because I have been prone to overscoping before. Some also requested that I look into, and draw inspiration from, more of her works. While this is generally great advice and I would be more than willing to take it on, the two quilts that I showed in my presentation are the only existing examples of her work. I didn’t make that clear in my presentation however, so that is my mistake.

Concerning overscoping, I have considered cutting the mechanic that draws enemies, that haven’t been killed, from the previous level and into the next level when the player transitions. I would consider adding this feature back into the game if I had any spare time after the project was completed but, as it stands, there is already plenty of work to done.

Another questioned the scoring system that I was going to use, stating that, even though $10 is relevant to the time period, it seems rather small and that I should check how much it would sell for today. After searching around, I found that replications of the Bible Quilt were made but finding a price for one is hard to come by. So instead, I shall convert $10 in 1898 to what it would be worth now, meaning $285.

Some were concerned that angels and demons don’t fit well with the theme of the game, suggesting that replacing demons with colonial white people would be more appropriate considering the era of the art piece in question. I agree that this change would better suit the kind of game feel that I am trying to achieve and, to further increase that feeling, replacing the angel with Harriet herself would be better. This change would also allow me to add an appropriate life system into the game by giving the player as many lives as Harriet had children (9).

The final question was concerning Evil Otto, a type of unkillable boss character that would spawn if you took too long to complete the level. I won’t be putting a version of Evil Otto in my game in order to focus on completing other elements.

Advertisements

Dev Diary – Creating 2D Assets

For my first project of Studio 1 (one of my subjects at uni), I decided to take on the task of creating all the games assets by myself. Quite a daunting task but I felt that, given the simple shapes that my artist used in her works, it wouldn’t be too difficult to create something that, at least, vaguely matches hers. What sparked this drive was actually a program that I had purchased from Humble Bundle called Pyxel Edit. I am not too sure of this program’s reputation at the time of writing but I was excited to start creating my own assets, instead of relying upon Unity’s Asset Store.

While I found it easy to adapt Harriet’s artwork and style to the program, my lack of knowledge when it comes to pixel art in general was quite evident when I began to import my assets into Unity. When I began my first import I had finished approximately half of all the assets that I had needed. While that sounds all well and good, I soon realized that my assets were far too small for my intended screen size, as they were a measly 64×64. This led to me redoing all the assets that I had done previously but in a much larger canvas, 264×264.

I also attempted some simple animations while re-creating the previous assets. I was able to animate both the player and the enemies, even if it is just one extra frame. I learned the process of creating a sprite sheet, albeit a small one, as well how to import my own assets and animations straight into Unity. While assets are simple to import to Unity, the animations required a bit of additional work. Since the animations are imported as a single sprite, I had to enter the settings of the animation in question and split the sheet into multiple cells that Unity could recognize. Since my animations were a simple two frames, it was easy to understand what I needed to do, but that process allowed me to understand more complex sprite sheets and how to use them in later projects, if need be.     

Environment:someportal Player Animation:Player.gif